SEO copywriting is the foundation to the organic SEO process. The aim of a SEO copywriter is to properly keyword optimize each page in the proper places.
In this blog post, we are going to outline the most essential HTML tags for SEO copywriters, along with some copywriting tips on how to keyword optimize each of them.
1. Page Title Tags
The title tag, as the name suggests, is simply the main topic of the webpage. For this reason, you'll definitely want to keyword optimize this HTML tag with your primary keyword target.
Title tags should be concise (typically under 70 characters is ideal) for most search engines only display so many characters. And because the title tag is what shows in the search results as the main headline of the listing, it's important to get a little creative and write a compelling title that also respects keyword inclusion.
Tips for writing optimized title tags:
- Always include most of the primary keyword target (if not exact phrase match) in the title tag. Only add secondary keyword variations if they make sense.
- Each page should have a unique title (duplicate page titles can hinder SEO performance.)
2. Meta Description Tags
The Meta description tag is an embellished version of the title tag. This description also appears in the search engine results right below the title tag. Most search engine will display about 160 characters of the Meta description, so here you have more room to write and compel searchers to click your listing. Get creative with your Meta descriptions and really test your copywriting skills. Be sure to also include your primary keyword target early in the description to establish greater keyword relevancy for the page.
Tips for writing optimized Meta descriptions tags:
- Try include the exact phrase match of the primary keyword target as early as possible in the Meta description. Try using a secondary keyword variation toward the middle or end of the description, if it's logical.
- Like titles, each page should have a unique Meta description. • Use action-oriented words that call users to take action (e.g. 'Discover, Explore, Uncover')
3. Header Tags
The 'h' tag, or header tag, is like the title of your webpage. Here you'll want to use your keywords strategically by using at least one h1 tag, along with h2 and h3 sub-headings. The idea is to organize your content by topic and break apart each idea with various headers. Although you can use h1-h6 tags on a webpage, h1's-h3's carry the most weight.
Tips for using header tags:
- Use the primary keyword target in the first h1, and use secondary keyword variations in h2's and h3's down the page
- Apply CSS for styling so that it headers look the way you want them throughout each page of the website
4. Italics and Strong Tags
Rather than using a simple 'b' or bold tag in the copy, always use the strong tag, for this offers more weight to search engine spiders. Strategically strong tag your keyword targets throughout the copy to help establish greater keyword relevancy.
Also use italics around keywords or phrases where you want to express emphasis. Although these text styling tags offer minimal SEO weight, these SEO copywriting techniques help to enhance the copy of your pages.
Tips for using italics and strong tags:
- Only use strong tags or italics per each keyword (avoid strong tagging every reference of a keyword phrase.)
- Be creative and use these text styling elements to enhance the readers' interaction with the page.
5. Image Alt Tags
The image "alt tag" stands for "alternative text." In rare instances (such as an old computer or web browser) when certain images cannot be render, alternative text will be show. This text is crawled by search engine spiders, so it's important to keyword optimize this text when appropriate.
The keyword is "when appropriate." You'll only want to include keywords in the alt tag only when it truly reflects what the image is about. For instance, if you have a picture of a family at a park, but your alt tag is keyword optimized for "hair loss treatments," the alternative text will not make much sense. Tips for using image alt tags:
- Keep your alt tags relevant and concise
- In addition to the alt tag, try including your keywords in the actual file name of the image
- Also see if you can add keyword references in the image properties, such as the summary, description, or image tags
There are several factors that determine on-page SEO authority. Using these five HTML tags is one of the most effective ways to optimize your website for greater keyword relevancy. Just be sure that you do this ethically and avoid keyword stuffing. Overusing keywords can have adverse results, for Google now targets and penalizes websites that have way too high of keyword density.
Write with a purpose and write righteously. Rank on, my friends.
About the Author
This article was written by Tyler Tafelsky of Top of Mind, a Traverse City SEO and social media engagement firm. Tyler has been a professional organic search marketing expert for over five years. To learn more, you can connect with Tyler on Google Plus.
Leave a comment
SEO is all about understanding keywords in a particular market and audience, and how to properly apply those keywords to a site's content. While content marketing is producing interesting and valuable content, and distributing it to drive traffic to your business, SEO is more focal to keyword usage and copywriting.
Both are different, but when you combine the two strategies the results would be simply amazing. For SEO and content marketing, effective web content and copy are the junctions. In the processes of writing and optimizing your website content for SEO, the following SEO copywriting tips can prove to be highly effective.
Step 1: Know Your Target Market And Audience
Content marketing makes content to the target market. For an effective SEO content, it is mandatory to know the audience. Then only you can create content and map content. Google Analytics is the best source to find the group of audience for the particular market.
If you have zero experience with Google Analytics, perform a research to familiar with it. Google Analytics gives you the demographics of website traffic and tells about audience. If once you know the audience and their language, you can start writing content for them. Or you can hire a proficient SEO company, such as Atlanta SEO company, CaptivateSEO.com.
Step 2: Organize Content Strategically Across Your Website
Create a sitemap and content structure for your quality web content. You should group them by theme and organize with main categories and subcategories. it is better to group content with categories rather than dumping them on a single page. When people are redirected to your website from the search results, they are to be engaged and they should like to come again.
So, you need to concentrate more on mapping content and categorizing them. Just imagine the site Amazon without the subcategories.
Step 3: Match Your Content With The Search Results
Search Engine Results Page is important for all main pages. So, optimize it in a most interesting way and that must be exactly matched with readers expectations and search queries. You have to provide rich text to google, then only it will recognize your site as the way you thought.
Find the related keywords for your category. You use the keyword planning tool of Google. It will help you find the keywords surrounding your category and subcategories. Researching keywords is very important to know the reputed Google search queries. You can make use of these keywords to make content belong to your category.
The true method to make your website to come first on search results is creating content that are rich with keywords highly searched. You will get traffic when people search the exact terms. Your website will be given first preference for the search queries. This is the foundation to web presence SEO.
Step 4: Know The Basics Of Formatting On Page Text For SEO
Once you finished your work on creating categories and subcategories and sitemap for your website, then it is the time for thinking about populating each with quality content. If you are maintaining your old website, then rewrite and reformat the content to make it SEO friendly. This is particularly important in doing SEO audits for ecommerce sites Follow the basic tips step but step carefully.
1. Use H! tag for formatting title of the blog post. Search engines search for H1 and H2 tags only. Google easily reads the content and titles that are formatted using H1 header file. All other text must be smaller than header file.
2. You are advised to add introductory text for each content for your page. The page description and keywords along with header is important for engaging readers with your website.
3. Google will consider your site as a high quality site and helps to engage reader with your content.
Step 5: Know Basic Rules For Formatting Images For SEO
It is very important for the effective website content to add images like you add formatted headings for text content. Here I shared the important techniques for optimizing images for your content. This points are originated from SEO blog.
1. Using plain English, create alt description and and an image title for each image.
2. Except the logos, use jpeg or png format images to save load time. Also, adjust the size and quality accordingly.
3. Try to use unique and new images so that visitors can find your site uncommon.
4. Add strong and engaging content for all image captions, if you prefer them.
5. Use each image exactly for which it is defined. For example, don't use logos for infographics.
This is just the tip of the iceberg for effective SEO copywriting and content marketing. Stay tuned here at OrganicSEOCopywriters.com to learn more.