Content marketing is an effective communication strategy that involves the creation, sharing and publishing of content, for the primary purpose of increasing a brand's visibility as well as to build a brand's reputation and web presence.
When done correctly, content marketing can lead to an influx of high-quality inbound links as well as an increase in organic traffic as well. Let's take a look at how content marketing can help to increase organic traffic and some tips to utilize when it comes to formulating an effective content marketing strategy.
Said in simple terms, once you understand what the key components of content marketing are, you will be able to see how it can help to increase organic traffic. You can also leverage content marketing to support various aspects of your SEO strategy, social media marketing efforts, and the optimization of your web presence. Therefore, let's take a look at 5 basic steps that an ideal strategy should consist of.
1) Create An Audience Persona
The first thing you need to do is to create your audience personas. This is due to the fact that your content needs to be about things that your ideal audience would love to learn about. As such, before you even contemplate the possibility of creating your content, you need to figure out who you target buyers or audience is. Basically, what kind of person do you want to read your content?
2) Define Your Personas' Common Search Terms
Once you have created your buyer persona, or in essence have gained a good perspective of the type of people that you want to read your content, you need to create a SEO-focused keyword list that is based off your audience's common search terms. Why? Because optimization of your content (or SEO) is how you get organic traffic from content marking. A good rule to remember is this:
- Your target demographic searches for something.
- You create content for which your target demographic is searching.
- With SEO best practice, you brand can get more organic traffic.
3) Determine the Type of Content That Your Persona/Audience Loves The Most
Once you have determined some good topics for content that you can create that relates to your audience's most common search terms, you need to determine the best type of content to utilize to increase engagement. Remember, the type of content that you create should be based off the needs of your audience.
Meaning that, if your audience performs search terms that are related to installing a laptop hard drive, an article may not suffice, but rather a video. Alternatively, if your audience wants to learn about 20 different ways to increase their productivity, they may find an article that they can go back and re-read, to be more valuable than a video.
When it comes to determining the ideal type of content that you should be focusing on, some of the questions you should keep in mind, include:
- What is your audience search for through Google?
- What is your audience's intent behind their searches?
- What are the problems that they are trying to solve?
- Which type of content would encourage them to either, click, stop or consume?
4) Develop A Personality That's Attractive To Your Audience
Every successful brand has their own unique personality and style. If you think about it for a second, you more than likely gravitate towards people who are like you. In the same breath, people will gravitate towards brands, that portray a personality or style of their own.
As such, not only do you need to figure out what your audience needs, you need to figure out how they like it styled. This takes some content marketing creativity but will ultimately help shape your voice and tone in your work.
5) Demonstrate Some Consistency In Your posting Frequency
At this point, you have gained some perspective on who your audience is, what they want and how they are going to receive it. Now, you need to figure out how often this is going to happen. Some tips to consider when it comes to doing just that, include:
- Take a look at "Curata's Content Marketing Pyramid," it can give you some great insight as to how frequently you should be posting, based on your content type.
- Determine how frequently you should be posting based on your audience's behavior, i.e. when are they the most active?
- Create a calendar and schedule your posting.